Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

Well, today is the day we celebrate the birthday of the United States of America.

Back in 1776, we declared our independence from the country of Britain, in a gutsy move that has forever shaped this world.

To our military men and women serving stateside and abroad, thank you for your service to our great country. I know your service is hard and that it puts great strains on you and your families. But know that we do appreciate everything that you do and that we all want you back home, safe and sound, as soon as possible.

So, I went to a picnic today at my grandmothers. All my relatives were there. We had food (no hot dogs tho :(, what's up with that?) and great company. Then my aunt started the prayer. Now, you know me. I don't mind prayer. It is a great instrument that we all have to talk to God. Then my aunt said, "a country based on Christian principals, now and forever." This is where I take exception.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, or a person that likes to poke or incite arguments, but let's be serious and real for a second. Is America the same it was in 1776 as it is today, faith wise? No. America is the best and most envious country to all people. People come here from all faiths, just not Christianity.

Now, I'm not knocking or mocking Christianity. Personally, I'm an agonistic. I believe in God, but have no formal religion that I turn to. Does that make me a bad person? No. All people who know me, can say that I may be a bit weird, but I am a great and funny person and loyal friend.

However, it really ruffles my feathers when the Christian right thinks that they are the kingpin religion and their way is the other way. It also ruffles my feathers that they think that Christianity is the sole religion that formed this fine nation. I'm sure when it was 1776, perhaps that was the view. Most people in the 1400's also thought the world was flat. Pioneers like Christopher Columbus however proved that wrong.

As technology advanced, we seen that this is a vast world and there has to be more than one master rule and more than one master religion. I think most people agree with me. And they should. So, has those fireworks go off tonight, embrace a diverse America. This is the America of 2009, not 1809.

-- Matt

No comments: