Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Remembering Michael Jackson

I am sure you are tired of hearing about the passing of Michael Jackson. I must admit that I am too, just a little.

But I would be neglect if I didn't take a blog post to reflect on his life and the impact he had in the world.

With me being born in 1980, much of my life I knew of MJ, but didn't appreciate him as much as I should have. But with all he did, it's hard not to notice what he has accomplished.

I found the memorial yesterday quite moving. Mariah Carey was just beautiful and her performance was grand. When MJ's daughter Paris spoke, I nearly broke down. I have to think however, do you think MJ wanted his children to speak at such an event? I think not. But this wasn't just any other memorial.

Neilsen says that over 30 million people seen the memorial yesterday. Over 10 broadcast networks covered the event. And around the world, perhaps up to 1 BILLION people saw it.

Did MJ have issues and troubles? Yes. Was it worthy and necessary for us to pause and reflect? Yes. To those people who want to diss MJ and the coverage, I say this: Everyone has issues and hardships. That's life. So, before you cast the first stone, think to yourself ... should I be dissing this person?

Michael, thank you for the music. We will remember you for the bright things you gave us. Has Diddy said, "Other people brought the music. Michael made the beat."

With that said, let's remember that. I know I will.

God Speed Michael.

-- Matt

No comments: