Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Former Chicago Bears' Player in Hospital

You see this headline, and it just might be another story to you.  And to most people, it would.  But if you read the article from ESPN.com, you will see that it hits close to home for me personally ...

William 'The Refrigerator' Perry is in a South Carolina hospital in serious condition after he had a relapse due to the after effects of Guillain-Barre Syndrome.  He was diagnosed with GBS back in June of 2008, and he is back in the hospital again.  He is listed in serious condition, but is expected to fully recover.

About 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with GBS at the age of 22.  It was the scariest time of my life.  But, the recovery that I made helped me realize who I was and what I can accomplish was a person.  I made almost a full recovery, although I really can't run.  I also have nerve pain in my feet and ankles from time to time.  And that is expected to stay with me for the rest of my life.

Myself aside though, I really do feel for Mr. Perry.  What he must be going through is very scary and the thought that I know what he feels is quite surreal.

My heart and thoughts go out to him and his family.  My advice:  Keep your head up, believe in your faith, make a goal to get back where you were before this all happened, and don't let nothing stop you.  This could be the most rewarding time of your life, and your sense of yourself that you develop after this is something you will keep forever.

I will make it a point to keep up to date very closely to this story.  Let's all say a prayer/thought for him.

Best of luck.

-- Matt

No comments: