Saturday, September 26, 2009

Religion gone crazy ...

Kirk Cameron is back in the news again. Now, I know you are asking yourselves right now, "Who is he?" Let me briefly remind you. He was the ubercool Mike Seaver from Growing Pains. He really hasn't done anything since then, so in my eyes, he's probably the best candidate for washed-up B-list actor since Michael Vick came aboard on the Eagles.

Now, I don't have anything against Kirk Cameron if you see him as a father and husband. He adopted 6 children and has been married to his wife for a long while. It takes a man to be a father, but it takes a special type of man to raise adopted children. Kudos to him on that.

Where I have a beef against Kirk is that ever since going into obscurity after Growing Pains, it seems like he has been brainwashed to be a ultra-right wing fundamentalist Christian, who is now a street preacher. Him and a other gentleman have a Trinity Broadcasting Network show (TBN) called "Way of the Master". If you haven't seen this peace of artwork, make sure you watch a segment here.

I don't have anything against religion and you can do what you want, but street preaching and getting into someone's face to make you accept YOUR god, or something like that is just unacceptable.

Reason for this blog post is twofold. 1) Looks like Kirk Cameron and his buddies are back in the news yet again. Kirk Cameron thinks that 18-35 year olds are becoming atheists and agnostics (like me) and he needs to save us. They wrote a short book about Creationism and is handing it out to colleges across America. Kirk, leave us alone. No one knows who you are anymore and you are certainly not the Mike Seaver you once were. Yeah, I know he was an actor and that Mike wasn't a real person. But you get my point. Mike was cool. Kirk is not.

Also, another reason for this rant post is that looks like Westboro Baptist Church from Kansas won their court case throwing out a $5 million ruling a year or two ago against a man who sued them because they picked his deceased son's funeral. The court said that Westboro Baptist Church is protected by the 1st Amendment. Are you kidding me? You can hold out signs at funerals and that's ok? What is wrong with this picture???

What ever happened to us respecting each other? Why are so many people afraid of things they don't understand, or refuse to understand? My soon to be six month old nephew, I really feel for him. Ever since he was born, I love him so much. But yet, I worry about him on how this world will treat him. What will it be like when he starts school, high school, college, and beyond? I hope his generation is more tolerant than the one I experience today. If you don't want to be preached to, you don't have to be. Yeah, you could say, "leave me alone," and just walk away. But with the likes of Cameron and his flock, and Westboro too, that is just not that simple. We those who are independent in our religion and those who don't believe in a higher power need to say that enough is enough and stand up. If we don't it will just get worse and worse. It's happening right before our very eyes.

I cannot stand people who don't think before they act. I was reading an AOL News article the other day that was telling about Kirk Cameron. I will end this post with a comment one person wrote ... Perhaps the best 11 words ever wrote: "Science flew us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

-- Matt

No comments: