Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Special Review & Comment: American Idols Live

American Idol is one of the best shows in America. And of course, with me as a BIG fan, I had to go Reading's Soverign Center last night to see the concert. Reading Eagle, the daily newspaper for Reading had a fair and accurate review of the concert. I'm just going to echo some of the thoughts there and offer some thoughts of mine.

I thought most of the singers last night sounded great. They really improved their voice, their stage presence and in Danny Gokey's case, dancing skills from when they were on TV. The only ones that in my opinion that really didn't improve their voice sadly was Megan (who only impressed me with her hip-shaking skills) and 'Lil Rounds.

Most of the songs the singers sang were good for them. Kris Allen did a great version of Matchbox 20's 'Bright Lights'. Adam Lambert (who got the most applause whenever his image was on the video walls, or on stage) did a good dancey/disco version of David Bowie's 'Let's Dance'. Matt Giraurd did a flawless, breathtaking version of Ray Charles 'Georgia on my Mind'.

Perhaps the most surprising part of the concert was the length. I was convinced before the concert that it was gonna be over between 90 minutes and 2 hours. But, the concert lasted nearly 3 hours long. As the article mentioned, over 40 songs. You were not given a short dish of music.

However, leaving the concert was another thing. Even though Reading is a nice city and the Pagoda that can be seen from the concert venue is very nice, as it was lit up in red color,, but leaving the city of Reading and finding the way out from business route US 422 is a pain the neck. I swear, I was driving around in a 2009 Chevy Impala at 11:30PM in the ghetto. I hope there is a better way to get out of there next time. Better yet, I next year, think they need to come back to Hershey's Giant Center.

-- Matt

No comments: