Saturday, March 7, 2009

Just a few things ...

Hello everyone and good evening.

1) Remember to turn your clocks 1 hour ahead tonight. SPRING FORWARD. Yeah, we lose and hour of sleep, but gain and hour of sunlight in the evening. I think that is a fair trade. Eh? Remember also to check the batteries of your fire/smoke alarm. This is very easy to do, only takes a few minutes. And the life you could be saving could be yours, or your loved ones. Please don't forget.

2) As I have written before on this blog nearly every week, the perils of the newspaper business continues with this downward economy. Some papers are not continuing. Word is that Seattle's Post-Intelligencer will become a 'web-only' newspaper like Boston's 'Christian Science Monitor'. To the people of Seattle, I am sorry that has to happen. But I rather have an online only newspaper than nothing at all. There will be newspapers that survive this slaughter. One way of doing this is by 'hyperlocalism'. That means an intense non-stop coverage of everything local. One newspaper that gets this is our hometown newspaper, The Patriot-News. At this link (make sure you download March 4th show), you will find a podcast of WITF's Smart Talk. They had Patriot-News Editor and Publisher John Kirkpatrick and the head executive of PNA (Pennsylvania Newspaper Assoication). The topic was the state of newspapers. If you have the hour, please check it out. You will not be disappointed. Newspapers are a vital and very important part of our history and communities. They must survive, and they will.

3) Well, how about American Idol. They now have a top 13 instead of 12. Which is good. I would have wished that Tatiana would have made it through. But we all can't get what we want. This is the guys year on Idol. Just watch. The best only begun. Also, I would like to invite you to my Twitter page. Here you can join me for LIVE tweetering of Idol performance nights. I may be a little late since I don't get home til like 8:30ish, but I tend to catch up quick. This is a neat and raw way to know my thoughts on every performance, and I also make my prediction at the end of the show. Plus, Twitter is also neat to just know what is up, right at that moment. Check it out.

4) I will be in Gettysburg tomorrow for a friend's sporting event. That should be fun. I think it's at Gettysburg College. Nice small school.

I should get some rest. Have a great night all.

-- Matt

No comments: