Monday, January 26, 2009

Disappointed in the FCC ...

Good evening.

So, one of this evening's lead stories is the topic of this brief editorial. Looks like the US Senate has approved this evening the digital television deadline be EXTENDED until June 12th, 2009. It was originally to be done by 2/17/2009. They say the reason for this is because there is millions of Americans are not ready still for the transition to digital television.

This is a bad decision for television stations across America. Millions have been spent already on this. Stations like WGAL have done excellent work in preparing Susquehanna Valley television watchers for this. Keep in mind, we have been getting ready for this for nearly 2 years! The laziness of a few is keeping us from fully getting this done.

They say that perhaps as 10% of people are still not ready, mostly being low-income and elderly people. Let me be frank about this, I really doubt these people even if time was extended will do this transition. Nothing against them, but if they had all this time to get ready and they didn't get ready, what makes you think they will now?

The article I linked also mentioned that as many as 3 million people are still waiting on the coupons. OK. So they are still waiting. They will get their coupons soon. But still, why did they have to apply for coupons so late?

Personally, I have been DTV ready since April 2008. I have my satellite TV ready to go, and I have my antenna set up separately if I wanted true HD programming.

Why I am do also so disappointed in this is because WHP-TV will not be avaliable to me over the air digital until June. Most would think that if I live 10 miles from the tower, that I should get their HD signal. Not so. The FCC reports that WHP's analog signal is very very strong, and their digital signal is very weak. So now, I will have to wait until June to see my CBS shows I like, including My Network TV 21.2.

All because some people delayed making this choice. Gee, thanks a lot. Now, get your butts into gear.

Finally, it is my hope that television markets and stations across the nation make their own decision when to post-transition. Some markets could go now, if they really wanted to. It is also my hope that family members help out other family members that are confused or need to convert over. Once people realize how much better digital TV is, they will wonder why they didn't go before.

So, for those who are delaying this ... Thanks alot for delaying the future.

-- Matt

No comments: