Thursday, December 25, 2008

Surreal Music Moment

A quick note before I go to bed ...

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are always emotional times for me. When I was in high school, my late grandfather suffered a stroke on Christmas morning. Being a teenager at the time, it shocked me. I couldn't understand how he was at my family's huge party the night before, being the life of the party that he was, and then the next morning, dying. That Christmas/Winter break from high school was the most depressing time I suffered with until my early 20's. Also being a teenager, you suffer through a lot of peer pressure, including to smoke cigarettes. My grandfather smoked a lot. Even though that did not lead to the ultimate reason for his death, when I heard him on the ventilator, it quickly made me realize what I needed to do. At that moment, I made a promise to God, and to my grandfather that I would never smoke. Except for a rare cigar, I kept my promise. So, now you know why I am sometimes beside myself at this time of the year.

So, it was shortly before midnight this evening and I went to my car. My cousin parked me in and I didn't feel like going in and asking to move their car. So I waited. Turned on the radio, and XPN came on. For those who are not familiar with this fine station, it is an Adult Album Alternative radio station from the University of Philadelphia. And I am a proud member of this station since 2003.

The radio came on .... and it was a great song that is a legacy song for me. It was Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. Instantly, tears almost came to my eyes. For the memories of my late grandfather came to mind. Also coming to mind is the friends and co-workers who are leaving from my work as of late. I'm not depressed mind ya and I am doing alright, but I just couldn't help but to just take a moment to reflect.

I thank XPN for that moment. They are not a religious station from any standpoint. They are an Ivy League school for crying out loud. But sometimes, it's rare songs like that, stands still time.

What a moment.

Merry Christmas to all. And If I have time I will post some stories in the morning.

Take care.

-- Matt

No comments: